Convert MBOX to PST Manually – Step by Step Free Technical Guides
Freeware Solution to Convert MBOX to PST
Though MBOX file format is quite flexible & can be accessed in several email clients like Thunderbird, Entourage, Pocomail, Apple Mail, Spicebird, etc., PST is an organized file format that saves different data for Outlook account. As we are aware that Outlook offers a wide range of features and advantages to users, most of the small & large scale businesses are switching to Outlook. The PST file is the proprietary format for Outlook & can only be accessed within the respective client whereas MBOX file is the format for storing all email messages of the particular mailbox. In order to access the data in MBOX files through Outlook, we need to convert these files to PST. The blog will be discussing the freeware solution to convert MBOX to PST file effectively without losing any data.
Need for Conversion from MBOX to PST
Before we start the convert the MBOX files to PST in order to access the data in Outlook, let us see the reasons behind the conversion:
- The Outlook PST file is used to store emails, journals, contacts, calendar entries, etc. for each mailbox while on the other hand, MBOX files only stores email messages.
- The PST file for each Outlook account stores all the different items in a systematic manner with different folders for inbox, sent items, contacts, calendars, task, etc.
- The internet connectivity is not required to access the emails or data that has been previously downloaded allowing users to access offline.
How to convert MBOX to Outlook PST
Since MBOX supports different email clients, we will be discussing various methods to convert those files from several emailing platforms to Outlook supported PST file.
Though the manual conversion is possible, users need to have the technical knowledge to carry out the conversion process. A single mistake can lead to permanent loss of your valuable data contents or may lose its data integrity. It is recommended to backup MBOX files to have a copy in case the file is deleted accidentally during the process.
Here are the steps to convert MBOX to PST manually:
- Using AppleMail
- Start AppleMail on the system, go to File Menu and click on Import Section
- Select the program where MBOX files are stored in the option ‘Import Data from’
- Click on ‘Continue’ & choose the location of the MBOX files
- After selecting location, select the MBOS files & click on Choose to start importing
- Select few items or all that needs to be imported & Click on Continue after that.
- Lastly, browse the import tab in the mailbox list
- Using Eudora
- Add the file extension like .mbx to the currently imported MBOX files
- Copy the file to the Eudora directory which can be located under the following path: “C: Documents and Settings<user>Application Data\Qualcomm\Eudora”
- Launch Eudora, double-click on the MBOX file and close the email client.
- Using Outlook Express
- Start Outlook Express, Click on Import under the File Menu & select Messages
- Choose Eudora email client and click Next.
- Browse the location of .mbx file & select OK
- Click on Finish and imported mailbox can be viewed in Local Folders
- Using Outlook
- Go to File menu & click on Open
- Choose Import section and the Import & Export window will be launched.
- Select the option of Import Internet Mail and Addresses & choose Outlook Express or Window Mail
- Click on Import to start the import procedure.
- Finally, you can access all the data in MBOX file through Outlook.
The manual procedure is very tedious and involves installation of many email clients like Eudora, Outlook Express for the conversion procedure. For the easier & less time-consuming method, third party solution can be used that makes the conversion of MBOX to PST files effectively. The MBOX Converter Tool is a reliable process that helps in conversion of all the email messages of different MBOX files supported by multiple email clients to MS Outlook. It is available at the free of cost and has the expertise of converting bulk email data from MBOX to PST.