How to Unlock Password Protected Outlook PST File ?
MS Outlook provides a password security to secure the PST file from unauthorized uses, but sometime the PST user himself forget the password of his own PST, in such cases MS Outlook allows techniques to retrieve the PST file.
By using following steps in MS Outlook you can get access to your PST file:
Step 1. Click on Tools menu and select account setting option from there.
Step 2. A new windows will appear named as account setting
Step 3. Click on “Settings” option from data file
Click on setting and another dialogue box will pop up
Step 4. Click on change password to set a new password for selected file.
But when the user has forgotten the password he will get a message “The password you have typed is incorrect. Retype the password”. In such case you will have take help from third party Outlook PST Password Unlock software.
How to unlock PST file with the help of third party software at free of cost
As we all know that every Outlook user wants the access to his PST without paying to third party for it, so Microsoft provide free utility called “pst19upg.exe”. It removes the password form locked PST file.
How to run Pst19upg.exe:
- Close the Ms Outlook.
Search the Location of “scanpst.exe” in your PC.
Location in MS Outlook 2002 & XP:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MAPI\<locale ID>\scanpst.exe
Location in MS Outlook 2000:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MAPI\<locale ID>\NT\scanpst.exe
Location in MS Outlook 97 or 98:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Windows Messaging\scanpst.exe
- Run scanpst.exe and click on repair.
- Run scanpst.exe and click on repair. Backup of your Outlook PST File, before applying repair process.
- Click on “Start” button >> “Run” OR Press “Window Key” + “R”.
- Type CMD and press enter button.Copy the path of Your PST File into command prompt.
- This will create a copy of PST called “youfilename.psx” (same name as your original PST File has).
- When you have completed this process, rename the original PST File as old PST File.
- At the command prompt, type “pst19upg.exe-newfilename.psx” and press enter.
- It will create a Password free Outlook PST File from the PST file.
- Run “Scanpst.exe” and repair the newly created file.
- Open MS Outlook and check Outlook Data File.